Sunday, April 10, 2016

Old wooden windmill added to Mill

     Well we finally have the old wooden windmill top hanging in the mill.  When we purchased our property several years back, we inherited the original wooden windmill that was used on this property years ago.  We always knew that we would find a use for it and we have.  It now is hanging on a huge wall in the atrium part of the mill on the second floor.

     I believe it is at least 6' tall.  It is huge!  So glad that my brother in law was willing to help give it a new home in our mill.  My husband used his handmade crane to lift it up.  I was so skeptical when my hubby Ross had told me of his idea to make a crane inside the mill for lifting furniture and such up to the second and also 3rd floor.  All I could think of was how hideous it is going to look inside the mill.

     He proved me wrong!  It looks like it belongs in the mill and blends in nicely.  The crane has also been such a back saver.  So many very heavy pieces of furniture, washer and dryer went up way of the crane.  It is not uncommon for Ross to invent such things.  He is such a clever man!

     After it was attached to the wall, my brother in law Perry had a spot light that he added to a beam to highlight and accent the wind mill at night.  Cant wait to see it when it gets darker!  Just love how it makes a statement in here.  A conversation piece indeed.

     Here are a few photos of the process of hanging the wind mill.  Can't wait till our next project, whatever that may be!







Here is the before photo of the wall the windmill will hang on.  Looking at it from the main floor up to the second floor area.



Now it is being lifted by the crane up to where it will hang.




Now this is where muscle is needed to lift up onto that peg looking thingy.



It's up!!!!


Wow!  Now this is what I'm talking about!  Sure makes a statement.


Here is a look from another angle.  Looking up from the main floor.






Here is my husband Ross.  This is the crane he built that I mentioned earlier.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMGosh!!...just found your blog & LOVE everything you've done with the Mill!!...what a dream come true!..& a lot of hard work!..your decorating style is perfect for the place..I too, used to be more primitive in my own decorating...but am now starting to 'lighten' it up....more of a simpler farmhouse 'look'...you've really inspired me!..I am intrigued, though...how do you heat/cool your new home?..Lacy

Sharon said...

It looks absolutely perfect in that spot! Heights realllly bother me....and so that picture of (your brother in law?) standing on that beam......wow!

Anonymous said...

I lost track of you a while back, after the invasion of the bunnies post �� just ran across the blog again and signed up again. Sorry about your back but so happy you are in the mill and it looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait to follow along once more. Pamela