Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Update on the OLD MILL RENOVATION

Diamond in the rough!  AKA....Money pit!!!
Hello my friends.  I have been neglecting updates on the progress of the Old mill. 
For awhile things were moving pretty slow.  Trying to find someone that would even want to tackle a grand project as this was not easy.  But we did!  He is the nicest man and my husband and I enjoy him and he is so easy going.  His name is Bob.  So when I mention Bob you'll know.  My husband Ross and Bob have been working day after day through the coldest of days, and it is finally starting to look like something other than a pile of junk.

As of now they are working on the outside siding.  We decided on vertical pine siding with batting (just like barns usually have on).  We wanted something low maintance.  No staining or painting every other year.  The pine over time will gray with age...Perfect! 

So I will caption each picture as you see them.  Enjoy!!!! 

Moving day.  Would you believe it ....not a one piece of board or window fell off during the 2 mile move from its original location.
And away we go....Just leaving its original foundation ready to go through the fields to it's new home!
Weee hours of the morning our mill was making its way through a corn field.  This was done to eliminate taking down a few power lines if we were to take the road instead.
 

Here she is a week ago.  What a difference a little siding can make!  It's starting to look like a home.




Hubby and Bob have crossed over to side 2 today.  We are also trying to figure out what style of windows to have.  It's a toss up between 4 over 4 windows which were original to this mill or 2 over 2.  We will see.  As soon as mother nature warms up I will take pictures of all the changes that have occured.  Stay warm my friends!


7 comments:

bayrayschild said...

OMG Theresa, what a project to take on!
I am very impressed with the work that has been done so far.
So glad you found Bob, he sounds wonderful!
Can't wait to see more pics!

Hugs,Audrey

okcamp said...

What a transformation. I can't imagine taking on a project of that magnitude. You guys are making great progress.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I can already see how lovely it's going to be. I can't wait to see more!

Barbara Lilian in France said...

20 yrs ago I thought we had taken on a huge project making the fallen down stone barn we bought into a house, I can't say home because we never intended to live there, but we do now. To move the whole thing ( which looked like a match stick house that would fall to pieces if you touched it ) from one place to another ! I can't wait to see how this ends up. So glad I found you from the Grow Your blog.

Sami said...

It's amazing how houses can be moved around. Very brave to take on so much work, but I think it will be a magnificent house, the exterior is already looking a lot brighter!

Sharm said...

I'm amazed it was able to be moved! Do you have a lot of land? Good luck with the renovations

Tisha Dolton said...

I love old buildings, having worked in house museums for a number of years. Glad you have found someone to help restore this mill!

Thanks for sharing your blog. I'm still working through all the blogs from GYB. A little over 1/3 of the way through. Please feel free to visit my embroidery blog. (I'm in the 1st set on the list.)

aprilsongstress