Monday, February 17, 2014

Painted my huge kitchen island

Wow, 2 posts in the same day?  Well what else can a gal do when it's so blustery out?  Yesterday I got up the courage to paint an old long bottom cupboard that I have been using as an island for my kitchen due to the shortage of storage space and lack of counter top to work on.

It was a should I or shouldn't I kinda morning yesterday until late afternoon I said to myself "just do it".  The reason I wanted to paint it was that the top work surface was blotchy, dirty looking and did not clean well at all.  Besides I wanted to brighten up the kitchen a bit more.

This was a piece my husband had retrieved out of an abandoned house that was due to be demolished.  It was part of a built in cupboard.  Ah, got to love those old homes.  We have a couple of beautiful cupboards that I can't wait to show and tell that also came from a cottage home that was demolished by DNR.  They will be going into the kitchen of the mill.

So this island painted up nicely.  I used a pure white semi gloss paint so the surface would be washable and it really brightened up the kitchen.  No regrets from this gal!

I decided to add a new vignette to my island.  I had brought out a few jadite bowls (crazy for Jadite), some ironstone and a few smaller elements to add to it and oh, I found this cute old green stool when hubby and I went out antiquing yesterday.  I had also made a haul on some cool ironstone dishes for a great price!

There are several photos to share with you and I hope that you like my little Monday Makeover!  I would really love to have you join in my Makeover Monday link party and share your favorite makeover in your home.  Just go to the previous post to link up.  Have a wonderful blessed week!


I've linked up with  The Scoop ~ Confessions of a Plate Addict
                                  Amaze me Mondays ~ Dwellings from the heart
                                  Wow us Wednsday ~ Savvy Southern Style
                                  Work it Wednesday ~ The Blissful Bee
   



























































The mr. Will be centering the ceiling light over the island just incase you thought that we liked it where it is now.


26 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Beautiful, every picture. A visual treat to see your old cupboard painted and all the green and white. Lovely.
Joy

Connie said...

Love it Theresa,,,of course. beautiful as always. Can't wait to see you guys again this summer....won't be long now!

Quinn said...

Excellent job on the painting! And I also love jadeite, though I don't actually own any. The combination of the jadeite and the white is so refreshing...lovely!

Sami said...

Looks wonderful! You can never have too many worktops in a kitchen!

Unknown said...

Theresa, your kitchen looks bright and beautiful. Look at all that space too! You did a wonderful job with that cupboard...oh and that pretty stool!

bayrayschild said...

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIUL!

Audrey

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

wow that is wonderful
Laura

okcamp said...

Theresa, that is gorgeous. You have a beautiful kitchen. I'm SO envious.
Diane

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Theresa, your kitchen is gorgeous and I'm in LOVE with the piece you turned into the island!!
I'm going to share it on my FB page (already pinned)
Thanks for your sweet comment over at my place! Look forward to getting to know you : )

Jeanette

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It looks absoluteely awesome and I love the touches of light green in your very white kitchen!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it!! Just beautiful and looks like is was always part of your kitchen.
~Cindy

TheMoonAndMe said...

It looks fabulous! Glad you don't regret it. It looks like it's always been that way and was meant to be! :)
Kelly

must love junk said...

I just found your blog and am thrilled! I just love your style and am now following! :)
Susan

Mary E.Dadds said...

First I thought why didn't she just sand it down and put a new finish on it.But it does look beautiful in your kitchen with your other white cabinets.Not like you cant remove the paint if you ever want the natural wood finish again.

Mary E.Dadds said...

First I thought why didn't she just sand it down and put a new finish on it.But it does look beautiful in your kitchen with your other white cabinets.Not like you cant remove the paint if you ever want the natural wood finish again.

Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} said...

Oh my goodness this is pure wonderfulness, I am so jealous! Love your island!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

This turned out beautifully, Theresa! It makes your kitchen look totally different, and so bright and cheerful. I'm lovin' your island vignette, too!

Eugenia Maru http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com said...

Tu cocina es hermosa. Yo no tengo tanto espacio. El mueble isla te ha quedado muy bien.
Me quedo con tu blog. Espero tu visita al mio y algun comentario.
Saludos desde Chile.
Maru

Theresa said...

We are doing our kitchen soon. I love yours! It is so beautiful!!!!
Pinning for inspiration. I can only hope mine is half as pretty. Visiting from @DearCreatives Theresa

Dawn~Lynnette said...

I love your blog, your ideas, and especially your island! So much Storage!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa! I'm popping over from Savvy Southern Style after seeing your gorgeous kitchen! I love your blog and now I'm your newest follower.
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

It looks wonderful / your kitchen is gorgeous!

Wild Oak Designs said...

It looks like it was supposed to be there all along! Stunning and wonderful! Lucky you and Hubby to find it!
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Katie - Something to be Found said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Love your blog! New Follower!
Hugs,
Jody

Stacey said...

I just ran across your blog and have to say...please come back and post some more. I love your style. :)